A properly maintained furnace system offers maximum energy efficiency, prevents harmful emissions and provides long-lasting performance. Here are the answers to the frequently asked furnace maintenance questions that will help you experience the best system performance and home comfort all season long.
How Long Does a Furnace Last?
Life of a furnace depends on many factors, including the frequency of maintenance, the type of furnace, and the local weather conditions. However, with the right maintenance, you can expect your furnace to last between 15 to 20 years.
Also read: What Causes Furnace to Turn On and Off Frequently?
What Is the Function of a Furnace Filter?
Furnace filters are essential for keeping your heating and cooling (HVAC) system clean. It helps capture:
- Dust mite debris
- Mold spores
- Pet infestation
- Household dust
Also read: 7 Amazing Benefits of Using Humidifiers During Winter
How Often Should Furnace Filters Be Replaced?
Furnace filters must be replaced according to the manufacturer’s recommendation. Refer to the points below if you are thinking about filter replacement.
- High-efficiency filters need replacing every 3 to 6 months
- Filters with lower Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) may require more frequent changes.
- Filters may also need replacement more frequently when the HVAC system is used heavily
Also read: How to Save Money on a New HVAC System Purchase or Replacement
How Often Should Your Furnace Be Maintained?
You should plan an annual maintenance service for your furnace. This will enhance the efficiency of your unit and will eventually decrease the operating cost, along with increasing the life of your unit. Yearly maintenance is also recommended from a safety point of view because an old or worn out furnace or its components increase the risk of a carbon monoxide leak.
Also read: Heat Pumps: All That You Need to Know
What Type of Furnace Maintenance Is Required for Your Unit?
The two main types of furnace maintenance needed by homeowners for their units are:
- Furnace Filter Replacement
- Preventative Maintenance Tune-Up
– A clean air filter allows the air to circulate through the system efficiently, helping the furnace operate properly while also removing the contaminants.
– The preventative maintenance tune-up is essential to check issues that require correction or could cause repair needs. It ensures proper functioning and longevity of your heating system.
Also read: How to Use Your Heat Pump Right to Save Money
How to Clean Your Furnace Combustion System
To clean your furnace combustion system, follow these steps.
- Turn off your furnace.
- Gently lift the combustion chamber door to open it.
- If a burner cover is present remove it using a screwdriver.
- Turn on the furnace and activate the burners by altering the thermostat’s temperature.
- Review the burner flame color and make sure they’re blue and remain even. Yellow burner flames indicate dirty burners.
- Turn off the furnace and the gas supply at the gas valve.
- Sweep out the floor of the combustion chamber and brush off the burners using a bristled brush
- Completely remove signs of soot in the chamber by vacuuming the burners and the combustion chamber.
- Use a cloth to wipe off the burners to further remove debris.
- Rearrange burners to their actual positions.
- Reinstate the burner cover and combustion chamber door.
- Switch on the gas and electricity to the unit.
Also read: 7 Tips to Make Your Heating System Well-Equipped for Winter Comfort
Regardless of the furnace type, you should hire an HVAC contractor for residential HVAC services to ensure that your home heating system stays in top form.
If you need a furnace maintenance service near you, contact us at (949) 328-3370 / (949) 328-3370 to book an appointment with our HVAC professionals and receive a free estimate.
White Mechanical, Inc.
Founded in 2002, White Mechanical, Inc. in Laguna Hills, CA, is one of the most trusted and licensed (HVAC) service providers, proudly serving Orange County and the surrounding communities. Our management team has more than 28 years of experience in various aspects of HVAC technology. All our HVAC technicians are professionally skilled and certified to deliver outstanding residential HVAC services as well as commercial HVAC services to our clients. We offer professional HVAC services including installation, maintenance, air conditioning repair, and more at very reasonable prices.