Air conditioners recycle the air in the room to make it feel refreshing and cool. However, an unpleasant or musty smell coming from your air conditioner has a direct impact on your mood.
Musty smells are caused due to several factors and can be eliminated with the help of professional cleaning services.
What causes your air conditioner to smell musty?
Moisture is the building block for mold and mildew growth which can cause a musty smell from your air conditioners. Here are some common reasons that could be causing a mildew odor to develop in your AC.
Air conditioning systems trap tiny particles that settle in the filters over time and cause mildew growth when exposed to moisture. If your air conditioner’s filter is dirty and clogged, this may result in your AC smelling musty.
Clogged drain lines
Also read: 10 Common Air Conditioning Problems You Should Know About
How do you get the musty smell out of an air conditioner?
You can clean the air conditioner yourself. However, you should take some precautions to prevent any damage to the AC or injury to yourself. Here are the steps that will help you get rid of the musty smell of your air conditioner:
- Carefully remove the outer case that exposes the fans, coil, and compressor.
- Move the unit to a place where it will remain secure during the cleaning process.
- Blow compressed air from a distance to ensure that internal components do not get damaged.
- Use a brush or a smaller piece of cloth to clean the finer dust particles in the front and rear of the unit.
- Clean the vent and the duct carefully with some cleaning solution and then clear out the cleaning solution with water.
- Flush the drip tray to clear off all dust and debris, however, do not apply excess pressure.
- Allow the air conditioning unit to dry for a couple of hours and wipe it with a clean cloth.
- Reassemble the unit only after it has completely dried.
When to call a professional for your air conditioner that smells musty
The location and extent of the mildew might make cleaning the unit difficult. Also, your AC may continue to produce a musty smell due to moisture and filth collected in the coil and ductwork, which is challenging to clean yourself. Professional cleaning can help in resolving the root cause of the problem and keep the musty smell away.
If you are looking for AC cleaning services in Orange County, contact us today. Our experts will ensure your AC unit is mildew free and smells as fresh as ever!
White Mechanical, Inc.
Founded in 2002, White Mechanical, Inc. in Laguna Hills, CA, is one of the most trusted and licensed (HVAC) service providers, proudly serving Orange County and the surrounding communities. Our management team has more than 28 years of experience in various aspects of HVAC technology. All our HVAC technicians are professionally skilled and certified to deliver outstanding residential HVAC services as well as commercial HVAC services to our clients. We offer professional HVAC services including installation, maintenance, air conditioning repair, and more at very reasonable prices.