Have you recently noticed black, clustered growths in your air conditioner duct? If yes, then your AC may have developed a black mold problem that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Read more to learn about how to remove mold from air conditioner ducts.
Signs of Black Mold in Air Vents
Your AC ducts may be infested with black mold if you are experiencing any problems in your home, including:
- A strong, musty odor in the house, stronger in particular rooms.
- The smell intensifications when you switch on the AC.
- Your eyes, nose, and throat feel irritated when you enter the air-conditioned room.
- You can spot the mold spreading in air ducts, vents, or drip pans of the AC.
What Causes Mold on AC Vents?
A warm location which has elevated water vapor content is usually more prone to mold buildup. Water vapor forms within the AC duct system when the outside environment has high water content, and the water droplets get collected inside the duct instead of evaporating.
Also Read – 6 Most Common HVAC Duct Problems You Should Know About
Is Mold on Air Vents Dangerous?
Molds can cause serious health problems, such as sinus infections and asthma. Some of the other health risks linked with black mold are allergic reactions, invasive disease, irritation due to volatile organic compounds, and mycotoxicosis.
Is Duct Cleaning Worth It?
Currently, there is no research to show that routine duct cleaning reduces dust or increases the air quality in your home. However, studies show that dirty cooling coils, air handling units, and motors will reduce the efficiency of your HVAC unit.
How to Prevent Mold Problems in Your HVAC System
Here are some mold prevention measures that you can employ to eliminate recurring mold problems:
- Replace the filters of the HVAC system.
- Insulate the air ducts to reduce the condensation rate within them.
- Clean the drip pans frequently.
- Keep the whole duct system dry and perform frequent checks for signs of moisture.
- Use dehumidifier.
Also Read – 10 Common Air Conditioning Problems You Should Know About
Checklist for a Mold Free Home
Here’s the checklist for smart homeowners to counter mold in air conditioning ducts:
- Conduct mold testing to confirm an infestation.
- Select duct cleaning methods and costs depending on the duct material type.
- Make sure that the service providers follow the National Air Duct Cleaning Association standards and EPA approved/ registered products for the process.
- Ask for client testimonials and references from service providers.
- Request regular duct inspection to prevent mold buildup.
Call us today to receive professional HVAC assistance in fixing HVAC problems such as molds in air conditioning ducts.
White Mechanical, Inc.
Founded in 2002, White Mechanical, Inc. in Laguna Hills, CA, is one of the most trusted and licensed (HVAC) service providers, proudly serving Orange County and the surrounding communities. Our management team has more than 28 years of experience in various aspects of HVAC technology. All our HVAC technicians are professionally skilled and certified to deliver outstanding residential HVAC services as well as commercial HVAC services to our clients. We offer professional HVAC services including installation, maintenance, air conditioning repair, and more at very reasonable prices.